Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the sentence that is closest in meaning to each of the following question.
Question 8. I don’t have enough money with me now; otherwise I would buy that coat.
A. If I didn’t have enough money with me now, I would buy that coat.
B. If I didn’t have enough money now, I wouldn’t buy
C. If I had enough money with me now, I wouldn’t buy that coat.
D. If I had enough money with me now, I would buy that coat.
Question 9. No sooner had we arrived than the performance began.
A. The performance had started before we arrived.
B. Hardly had we arrived when the performance began.
C. The performance started sooner than we arrived.
D. When we arrived the performance had already started.
Question 14. The teacher made his students work hard for the exam.
A. The students worked hard for the exam thanks to the teacher.
B. The teacher as well as his students worked hard for the exam.
C. The teacher examined his students before the exam.
D. The students were made to work hard for the exam.
Question 15. “I’m sorry I gave you the wrong number,” said Paul to Susan.
A. Paul apologized Susan for giving her the wrong number.
B. Paul apologized Susan for having given her the wrong number.
C. Paul apologized to Susan to have given her the wrong number.
D. Paul apologized to Susan for having given her the wrong number

Question 12. "Don’t be so disappointed, Bill. You can take the driving test again," said Helen.
A. Helen told Bill not to be disappointed and not to take the driving test again.
B. Helen told Bill to be disappointed because of the driving test again.
C. Helen said Bill not to be disappointed in order to take the driving test again.
D. Helen encouraged Bill to take the driving test again.
Question 13. "Who did you come to the party with?" said Tom to Lyn.
A. Tom asked Lyn who did she come to the party with.
B. Tom wanted to know with who Lyn had come to the party.
C. Tom asked Lyn who she came to the party with.
D. Tom asked Lyn who she had come to the party with

Question 6. "I’ll certainly help you tomorrow," said Tom to Helen.
A. Tom announced that he would help Helen the day after.
B. Tom promised to help Helen the day after.
C. Tom asked if Helen wanted him to help her the day after.
D. Tom told Helen to help him the day after.
Question 7. Although his legs were broken, he managed to get out of the car before it exploded.
A. Despite his broken legs, he was able to get out of the car before it exploded.
B. Despite his broken legs, he was able to get out of the car before exploding.
C. Despite his legs were broken, he managed to get out of the car before it exploded.
D. Despite his legs to be broken, he managed to get out of the car before it exploded.
Question 10. The house was too expensive for them to buy.
A. So expensive was the house that they couldn’t buy it.
B. The house was so expensive that they couldn’t buy it
C. The house wasn’t cheap enough for them to buy.
D. All are correct
Question 11. If only I had taken his advice.
A. I wish I followed his advice.
B. I wish I have taken his advice.
C. I regret not having taken his advice.
D. I regret not to take his advice
Mark the letter A, B, c, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the word that differs from the rest in the position of the main stress in each of the following questions
Question 2. A. characteristic B. environmental C. documentation D. sophisticated
Question 1. A. disappear B. engineer C. education D. attachment
Question 4. A. consider B. adventure C. patient D. eventual
Question 5. A. definition B. humidity C. necessity D. incredible
Question 3. A. reduction B. popular C. financial D. romantic
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct answer to each of the following questions
Question 42. The train accident _____________ the other train’s departure by a few hours.
A. sent back B. called off C. delayed D. retained
Question 43. The purpose of phonetics is _______ an inventory and a description of the sounds found in speech.
A. to provide B. provided C. provide D. being provided
Question 44. The English colonization of Virginia was devised in 1606 by a group of merchants __________ the Virginia Company of London.
A. who formed B. they formed C. whom formed D. what formed
Question 31. The new secretary in the sales department is a fast typist but her letters are full of spelling .......
A. errors B. mistakes C. tricks D. faults
Question 32. Some snakes lay eggs, but _____ give birth to live offspring.
A. other B. the other C. others D. the others
Question 33. I like my work because I have the ___ to make my own decision.
A. freed B. freedom C. freely D. free
Question 35. - “ You have a good voice! You sang so beautifully!”
- “............................................”
A. Your compliment is encouraging. B. Don’t joke me
C. Better than you are thinking D. Your compliment isn’t corrects
Question 36. We _____ for three hours and are very tired.
Question 34. I don't suppose you like pineapples, __?
A. do I B. do you C. don't I D. don't you
Question 39. - “ More coffee?, Anybody?”
- “ ..............................”
A. I don’t agree, I’m afraid B. Yes, I’d love to C. Yes, please D. It’s right, I think
Question 40. In a new culture, many embarrassing situations occur _____________ a misunderstanding.
A. for B. of C. because of D. because
Question 41. _____________ unknown quantities is the task of algebra.
A. To found B. Find C. The find D. Finding
Question 28. Hardly ______________ the captain of the team when he had to face the problems.
A. had he been appointed B. did he appoint
C. was he being appointed D. was he appointing
Question 29. He harbored ambitions ............becoming leader
A. of B. for C. in D. to
Question 30. I am angry because you didn’t tell me the truth. I don’t like .................
A. to have deceived B. deceiving C. being deceived D. to deceive
Question 22. The police stated that the accident ______________ soon.
A. will be investigated B. had investigated C. is being investigated D. would be investigated
Question 23. “Never say that again, ................”
A. won’t you B. do you C. don’t you D. will you
Question 24. - "Have you seen the place ................ the graduation ceremony will be held?"
- "Yes. It's big enough to hold 5,000 people."
A. where B. in that C. is where that D. which
Question 16. ............. of the shop, my friend came in
A. Coming out B. On coming out C. When coming out D. As I came out
Question 17. - "How's your class this term?"
- "Great. I have seventeen students, most of............. speak English very well."
A. who B. whom C. those D. which
Question 18. - “ I thought it was rude, didn’t you?”
- “ Yes, it was very .............”
A. polite B. politic C. impolite D. impolitic

Question 25. - “ Can I use your motorbike this evening?”
- “ ...............................”
A. Of course, you can B. Of course, you might C. It’s my pleasure D. Do it if you can
Question 26. It is believed _____________ cause insomnia.
A. too much caffeine which B. that too much caffeine
C. it in too much caffeine D. too much caffeine that
Question 27. _________ it not been for the intolerable heat in the hall, they would have stayed much longer.
A. If B. But C. Should D. Had
Question 19. The harder you try, _____________ .
A. the most you achieve B. you achieve the more
C. the more you achieve D. the better achieve you have
Question 20. A human being is _____________ of many, often conflicting, desires.
A. made B. made up C. consisted D. created
Question 45. Not only________ much bigger than any other planets, but unlike the planets, it consists completely of gaseous material.
A. Sun is B. the Sun, which is C. is the Sun D. that the Sun

Question 21. ____________ to the national park before, Sue was amazed to see the geyser.
A. Being not B. Not having been C. Have not been D. Having not been
Question 37. -“ Do you like the weather here?”
- “ I wish it .........................”
A. doesn’t rain B. didn’t rain C. won’t rain D. hadn’t rained
Question 38. Smith: “ Do you think you will be appointed business manager?”
Thomas: “ ................................”
A. I hope so B. So do I C. So be it D. Congratulations!

Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct word
The 22nd Southeast Asian Games successfully closed in Ha Noi. Prominent among 40.000 spectators at the closing (61)……… at My Dinh Stadium were Party Secretary General Nong Duc Manh, Vice President Truong My Hoa and leaders of the Asian Sport Federation.
A spectacular art (62)……… program with the participation of 300 musicians and 500 artists was (63)…… to welcome the success of the Games. Singaporean swimmer Yeojoscelin who won six gold medals and Vietnamese marksman Nguyen Manh Tuong who owned five gold medals during the Games were awarded the most (64)………… athlete title.
Nguyen Danh Thai, Minister – Chairman of the State Committee for Physical Training and Sports, President of the 22nd SEA Games Council and Head of the 22nd SEA Games Organizing Committee, (65)………… that the Games have successfully concluded after boisterous competition days. All activities took place (66)……… scheduled in an (67)……… of solidarity and friendship among Southeast Asian people.
With the Vietnamese Government and people’s efforts and international support, the 22nd SEA Games have become a festival that impressed people (68)……… the spirit of “ solidarity, cooperation for peace and development”. The 22nd SEA Games are not only a song of honesty and nobility in competition and organizing competition but (69)……… a sign of a bright future for the development of regional sports
After Vietnamese singer My Linh and a Philippine singer sang the song “ For the World of Tomorrow “, Minister Nguyen Danh Thai and Chairman of the Ha Noi People’s committee Hoang Van Nghien handed over the SEA Games Flag to the Chairman of the Olympic Committee and the dead of the Philippine sport team, (70)…………the host country of the SEA Games – the Philippines 2005.
Question 61. A. meeting B. forum C. celebration D. ceremony
Question 62. A. performing B. performed C. performance D. performances
Question 63. A. put B. held C. organizes D. B & C
Question 64. A. outstanding B. up most C. best D. top
Question 65. A. said B. affirmed C. stated D. all are correct
Question 66. A. like B. as C. to D. with
Question 67. A atmosphere B. environment C. aspect D. surroundings
Question 68. A. of B. with C. for D. under
Question 69. A. also B. well C. as D. of
Question 70. A represent B. represented C. representing D. behalf of

Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct answer

The last two decades have seen enormous changes in the way people's lives are affected by IT. Twenty years ago, few people had access to a computer whilst today most people use them at work, home or school and use of e-mail and the Internet is an every day event.
These developments have brought many benefits to our lives. E-mail makes communication much easier and more immediate. This has numerous benefits for business, commerce, and education. The World Wide Web means that information on every conceivable subject is now available to us. Clearly, .for many people this has made life much easier and more convenient.
However, not all the effects of the new technology have been beneficial. Many people feel that the widespread use of e-mail is destroying traditional forms of communication such as letter writing, telephone and face-to-face conversation. In addition, the huge size of the Web means it is almost impossible to control and regulate. This has led to many concerns regarding children accessing unsuitable websites. In conclusion, developments in IT have brought many benefits, yet I believe developments relating to new technology in the future are likely to produce many negative effects that will need to be addressed very carefully.
Question 46-In the last twenty years
A. there have been dramatic changes in the field of computer science
B. people's lives have been changed a lot because of the invention of the computer.
C. the World Wide Web and e-mail communication have affected modern life.
D. there have been developments in telecomunications.
Question 47-According to the passage, E-mail
A. reduces face-to-face contact B. can be checked quickly and easily
C. is used only in business D. takes a lot of time to transmit
Question 48-The World Wide Web and e-mail communication
A. causes a busy and exciting life
B. have also been used for education purpose
C. is difficult to get access to
D. is destroying traditional customs
Question 49-What does the IT stand for?
A. Information Transfer B. Information Transmission
C. Information Theory D. Information Technology
Question 50-Which sentence is NOT mentioned?
A. The World Wide Web is difficult to navigate.
B. The World Wide Web provides information.
C. The World Wide Web is difficult to control.
D. E-mail communication is quick and easy.
Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct answer
Although the United States is a large country with many people, the language is almost the same wherever one goes. There are two reasons for this. One is that people move around a great deal in the United States. A man may grow up in one part of the country, go to college in another part, find work in another place, and marry a girl from still another part of the country. Railroads, airplanes, cars and highways make it easy to travel in America. Many large companies have branches in different areas of the country and transfer their workers from one branch to another. The second important factor is public communication. Movies, radio, and television all have a standard way of speech, and almost everyone in the United States hears it. There are, however, some words and expressions more common in one part of the country than in others. Throughout the history of the United States, large groups of immigrants have come to make their homes and they give new words to the language.
Question 51-In the United States ______
A. each state has its own language
B. the language is different from place to place
C. one cannot go wherever he wants
D. people travel a great deal
Question 52-According to the writer ______
A. in America people have to study only in their native town
B. means of transport are well-developed
C. there are no trains and planes
D. one cannot marry a girl from another state
Question 53-Many large companies ______
A. do not have branches in other parts
B. have branches in different areas
C. do not have their workers work in the branches
D. do not employ workers from different areas
Question 54-In the United States, public communication ______
A. is not well-developed
B. has no standard way of speech
C. has a standard way of speech
D. is not important
Question 55-Which sentence is true?
A. In the united states there are a lot of immigrants.
B. In the united states there are no immigrants.
C. In the united states all words and expressions are the same in every part.
D. The American language has no new words.
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to show the underlined part that needs correction
Question 74. George dislikes politics because he believes that they are corrupted
A B C D
Question 75. Lawrence Robert Klein received the 1980 Nobel Prize in economics for pioneering
A B
the useful of computers to forecast economic activities.
C D
Question 71. Having worked hard during the summer, his result was very successful in the
A B C
entrance examination
D
Question 72. The surface conditions on the planet Mars are the more like the Earth's than those of
A B C
any other planet in the solar system
D
Question 73. Even though the extremely bad weather in the mountains, the climbers decided not to
A B
cancel their climb
C D
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct answer to complete each of the following sentences
Question 56. Having been served lunch, _____
A. the problem was discussed by the members of the club. B. it was discussed by the club members the problem
C. the club members discussed the problem. D. a discussion of the problem was made by the members of the club.
Question 57. After seeing the movie “ Pride and Prejudice”, .......................
A. many people wanted to read the book B. the reading of the book interested many people
C. the book was read by many people D. the book made many people want to read it
Question 58. ................................, he would have learnt how to read
A. If he has been able to go school as a child B. If he could go to school as a child
C. Had he been able to go to school as a child D. Were he able to go to school as a child
Question 59. .......... I told you.
A. Sam is the man about whom B. Sam is the man about who
C. Sam who is the man about D. Sam is who the man about
Question 60. But for his parents’ encouragement, ………………………………
A. He would have failed the final exam. B. He wouldn’t pass the final exam.
C. He‘d have passed the final exam D. A and B are correct.
In many old cities in Europe, there are narrow roads with many shops lying together along the two sides. These commercial places are not so modern and convenient as those called shopping centers in modern cities, especially the suburbs of the big cities in the United States.
Shopping centers have developed rapidly because of the shift of the population to the suburbs, the growing use of and dependence upon the automobiles and the heavy traffic in downtown areas. A shopping center is a large group of stores facing a huge central mall which may be covered, heated and air-conditioned. A shopping center is also surrounded by a parking area with space for thousands of cars.
We can buy all kinds of food and get anything we need in a shopping center. Unlike a supermarket where groceries are chiefly sold, a shopping center provides us with all services besides food. We can get our hair cut, eyes tested, clothes washed, we can book our tickets for a world tour and even enroll in special classes. Shopping centers are therefore, very convenient for customers, but they lack "the sense of closeness" as felt in older commercial centers

Question 76. Customers cannot find "the sense of closeness" in a modern shopping centre because ___
A. all the items in the stores are very expensive
B. the shopkeepers are very cold and unfriendly
C. it is modern and conventional
D. They worry too much about the safety of their cars.
Question 77. A shopping center is a large group of stores facing a huge central mall which is _______ .
A. narrow and winding
B. very crowded with automobiles
C. used as a store-house for heaters and air-conditioners
D. shaded and comfortable
Question 78. A shopping center is different from a supermarket because ______ .
A. it only sells food
B. it sells vegetable
C. it provides not only food but also services
D. it is easy to book a ticket for a world tour
Question 79. The word "those" in paragraph one refers to______ .
A. Shops along the roads B. Commercial places
C. Shopping centers D. Supermarkets
Question 80. In the shopping sections in many old cities in Europe, the stores are located ______ A. in the downtown B. in residential areas
C. along poor, dirty roads D. along small roads